Saturday, August 21, 2010

Why is a better deal so hard?


Over the last two weeks I have been able to reduce the cost of our telecoms bill by $50 by hunting around on the providers web site for better offers, and ringing up and threatening to leave unless I get a better deal.

Now I can understand why they just don't drop the price everyone pays for their services, it would cost them considerable revenue, but.... I am now conditioned to look for a better deal on a regular basis.

Rather then trust my provider, I now expect that they are not providing me the best deal that they can, and thus my level of loyalty to them is a lot, lot lower then it used to be. I actually don't feel better now they have given me better deals, I actually feel like they have been ripping me off in the past.

Rather then make me want to stay with them, all they have done is make me want to keep looking around for better deals, and eventually move. The new provider may be no better, but at least I wont have this feeling that I am being ripped of by them when I first move across.

So I am not sure if this was their intention when I rang up looking for a better deal, but it is how things have worked out, so why not just look after your customers all then time? Not just when they complain? and have they actually achieved anything other then making me an unhappy customer who is now ready to jump ship? I suppose I am at least still a customer, for now.